WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Monday, November 15, 2010

Asian Style Prawn Cakes with Noodle Salad

I just can't help myself - I see a magazine with recipes in it and I just have to pick it up.  At least this time it didn't cost me anything!!  The magazine in question here is the freebie that the supermarket Woolworths puts out - called Woolworths Fresh.  In this month's edition there is a recipe for Asian Prawn Cakes.

I decided that even though Mr. CCC was out for dinner I was not going to deprive my taste buds, and eat what "The Darlings" were having just to make my life easy!!  So I set out to make these prawn cakes for one (well not really because I made the full recipe - but I was the only one eating them).

If you look closely at the photos you will see that the patties are quite  green - that is because I blended everything up in the food processor, and possibly blended the coriander too far, and perhaps added a little too much!  So don't do what I did - and put everything in the food processor and blend the crap out of it!!!

This is how I will make them next time!!



Asian Prawn Cakes


Makes 12

500h green prawn meat
2 tsp fish sauce
1 lightly beaten egg
1 clove crushed garlic
1 tbs chopped coriander
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 tsp grated ginger
1 lemongrass (white part only) finely chopped

Place half of the prawn meat in a food processor and pulse, until finely chopped.  Chop the remaining half of the prawn meat roughly.  (This is where I went wrong - I processed it too fine- I think a few chunks of prawn meat would have been much better).

Mix all the other ingredients into the prawn meat.

Heat a large frypan over medium high heat.  Add a small amount of vegetable oil to the pan.  When heated, add approximately 1/4 cup amounts of the prawn mixture to the pan.  Cook patties in batches for 2-3 minutes each side, or until golden brown and cooked through.

Serve with lime wedges, sweet chilli sauce and noodle salad.



Noodle Salad

1 carrot, finely julienned
1 shallot (green) finely chopped
approximately 12 snow peas, finely julienned
1/4 red capsicum, finely julienned
1/4 punnet of cherry tomatoes, quartered
200g rice noodles

                                         I know this is quite tedious - but it is worth it!

Dressing


1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
2 tbs mirin
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tbs sweet chilli sauce
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
freshly ground black pepper

Soak the rice noodles in boiling water for 5 minutes to soften.  Drain well.

To make the dressing place all the ingredients in a screw top jar, shake to combine.

Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl, pour over the dressing and toss to combine.



This was of course much more than I could eat for dinner.  So I packaged the leftovers up, and recycled them the next day as a prawn cake noodle salad!!!  I cut the patties into small pieces and tossed them through the noodle salad.  Perhaps even better the second day!!

So Dear Readers if faced with making a meal for one - do you take the easy way out, or do you do like I did and still make yourself a "gourmet" treat even though it is more work??

1 comment:

  1. I tend to take the easy way out - sometimes I just get so bored with myself that I end up eating comfort foods like a simple mashed potatoes. Those prawn cakes look lovely though =) I love the idea of a prawn cake noodle salad.

    ReplyDelete