WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Salt and Pepper Prawns / Squid

This dish is so incredibly easy dish to make.

I found the recipe in the latest edition of Super Food Ideas - I have just modified it slightly to include squid!!  I used a sashimi grade squid - which was very delicious - but I think now my favourite for the salt and pepper treatment is the prawns!!



Salt and Pepper Prawns / Squid


Serves 6 as a starter - or less as a main meal (depends on how much you love your seafood!!)

750g green king prawns -
or use a combination of prawns and squid - or squid only

1/3 cup cornflour
1 tbs sea salt
1 tbs black peppercorns*
1/4 cup canola oil
fresh coriander leaves to serve
1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
salad greens to serve

Place the sea salt and the black peppercorns into a mortar and pestle.  Process until the peppercorns are ground to your liking.

* If you like it more on the spicy side either add a little more pepper, or add some Sichuan peppercorns to the mix!!

Combine the cornflour and salt and pepper mixture in a large bowl.

Add half of the seafood, toss to coat, shake off the excess.

Heat half of the oil in a large non stick frypan over high heat.  Cook the seafood, stirring for 3-4 minutes, or until cooked (this is for prawns - squid will take less time).  Repeat with remaining seafood.  The secret is nice high heat - cook it fast, and you get a nice crispness to the coating!

Place seafood on a plate.  Top with coriander and sliced chilli.  Serve with sour cream and sweet chilli sauce.




Note:  Do not coat the seafood in the cornflour mixture until just before cooking as the coating will become soggy.

Yum - this was my treat last night!!!  Got to love the Salt and Pepper Seafood!!!

So Dear Readers what do you make for your special treat dinner when you only have to please yourself?

Tonight "The Darlings" and I are going to have a "KFC Popcorn Chicken challenge" - secret recipe in hand we are going to try and recreate this popular dish - stay tuned for the results!!!

2 comments:

  1. Gotta let me know how that popcorn chicken turns out - Sean loves popcorn chicken...And I love salt and pepper seafood! Much win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had squid for dinner on Thursday night Yum. I will try this recipe it sounds good to me. Diane

    ReplyDelete