WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas

Today's post is not a food blog - but it is my blog and I am allowed to have a little licence to deviate from the food path occasionally.  Today is a day to reflect on all that is good in your life.  So if you are looking for food - come back tomorrow.



Sometimes life throws you some unexpected detours in the journey of life.

Readers that have followed me for a while will know about my son Jack.  My path in life since he was born is so entirely different than what I could ever imagined it would be.

I was lucky enough recently to attend the presentation day ceremony at the school that he attends.  When I say lucky, I don't mean it glibly - I truly feel lucky to have wandered into this world that for the most part, is unknown to the general population.

Jack attends a special school.

There was a time when I would have shuddered at the thought of him attending a special school.  Now I am so thankful that we have become a part of this truly unique place.  Every time I attend events at the school I get a "catch" in the throat - and can feel tears trying to escape.  Such is the love in the air.

Presentation day was no exception.  Here is a school that is staffed by the most incredibly, supportive, dedicated teachers and support personnel you will ever wish to meet.  They love their job, and their job is by no means easy.  Yet they nurture and educate our children, give them encouragement and teach them all how uniquely special each and every one of them is.  If they do their job well, then our kids will leave school in year 12 and become a meaningful part of the community.

This day I saw 8 children graduate.  It was time for them to leave the nest that has nurtured them for the past 6 years.

This was my first time at a presentation ceremony, and I was filled with the truly wonderful sense of camaraderie that filled the hall.  Every single kid there belonged - they had friends, and not just their peers, but the teachers in so many ways are also their friends.  Friendship knows no boundaries at this school.  The cheers that they gave each other was like music to my ears - the hugs as they said goodbye to each other as they left school that day was heartfelt, they really meant it - it wasn't just a superficial slap on the back that you see so often at the end of the school year.

These kids know that they are unique, but not in they way you are probably thinking.  They all have a truly unique outlook on life - and it is not marred by our stereotypes.  They spread more love to people than some of us can ever do in a lifetime - and they want nothing more than to have that love returned.

There was not a child there that was anchored down with their disability - such is they way that they have been encouraged to live to their full extent by their amazing teachers.

They may never be rocket scientists, or discover a vaccine for a disease, but these people will all contribute in their own way to society.

Sometimes we all need to have a "reality check".  I have had 2 in the last couple of weeks.

As you celebrate the Christmas season, ponder on others.  No matter how bad we think our lives are, there is always someone else who is struggling more than we are.

Enjoy what you have, and be thankful for the good things in life.

Merry Christmas to all my readers.  I appreciate each and every one of you.  I love that you make comments, I love that you read my daily offerings.  I wish each and every one of you the happiest of holiday seasons and look forward to having your company again next year.

Merry Christmas from my family to yours!!

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your sentiments Cate. Christmas to me is a time to enjoy the company of loved ones and appreciate all the wonderful people in your life. Christmas is my thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great and heartfelt post! Merry X-mas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such a beautiful family Cate! I hope you have a blessed and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree whole heartedly, Cate. We feel so blessed to be part of the school community, the feeling of acceptance and belonging within the school is amazing. And we have met so many fabulous people. Have a wonderful break and lets hope 2011 is as fantastic as the past year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kate,
    You have said that beautifully and I am so glad all is working out so well for Jack and all the family, what a great photo. You have put your all into everything you do. All the very best for 2011.

    ReplyDelete