WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Friday, April 15, 2011

Cheese and Ham Rolls and Hot Cross Buns

Even when you try and get an easy lunch on the run with the kids it can still add up dollar wise.  The other day I stopped at the local Baker's Delight as "The Darlings" were hungry and they wanted Cheese and Bacon Rolls.  At $2.70 each they are not exactly cheap.

I recently read on The Opies Family Food blogsite how she had  made Cheese and Bacon Rolls with success, and as I am gaining more and more confidence with baking bread using the Thermomix,  I decided to have a go at making them myself.  Really not hard at all.  Only problem was that I had no Bacon - so I substituted Ham.



Cheese and Ham Rolls
Original recipe from Forum Thermomix

Makes 8 Rolls

7g Yeast
2 tsp caster sugar
280g warm water
480g bakers flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbs olive oil
1 egg, lightly beaten
grated tasty cheese
100g shaved ham, cut into small pieces

Pace the yeast, sugar and warm water in the the Termomix Bowl.  Mix for 20 seconds on speed 4.  Allow to stand for approximately 10 minutes, or until frothy.

Add the salt, flour and oil.  Process for 5 seconds on speed 7.  Set dial to closed lid position and knead on interval setting for 1 minute 30 seconds.

Set aside in a lightly oiled bowl, in a warm place for 1 hour.

Punch down the dough and knead lightly until smooth.

Divide the dough into 8 portions.  Place on baking paper on a baking try.  Cover with lightly greased cling wrap.  Allow to prove again for 30-40 minutes.

Preheat oven to 200C.

Brush with the lightly beaten egg, then top with ham, then grated cheese.



Bake for 20 minutes, or until cooked through and golden.



So while we are in the baking mode - why not make some Hot Cross Buns as well....



Hot Cross Buns
From Thermomix EDC Cookbook

250g warm milk
500g bakers flour
2tsp salt
70g butter
45g sugar
1 egg
15g yeast
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
100g sultanas
70g currants

Place the milk into TM bowl and cook for 50 seconds at 90 degrees on speed 1.

Place remaining ingredients into the bowl, excluding the sultanas and currants, and mix for 6 seconds on speed 7.  Set dial to closed lid position and knead for 2-3 minutes on interval setting.

Add the sultanas and currants and mix for 10 seconds on speed 5.

Put in a warm place to prove for 1-1/2 hours.  Dough should approximately double in size.

Shape into rolls approximately dinner roll size.  Place the buns close together on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.  Cover and let prove for a further 10-15 minutes.

Pipe with crosses - recipe follows

Cross Mixture

80g plain flour
pinch salt
1 tsp light olive oil
100g water

Place all ingredients into TM bowl and mix to combine for 30 seconds on speed 4 to obtain a thick consistency.  Place into a piping bag - (or a small ziploc bag that you cut a small corner from).  Pipe crosses onto the buns.

Bake in oven that has been preheated to 220 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until golden.

Brush with sugar syrup while still warm.

Sugar Syrup

2 tbs water
2 tbs sugar

Place sugar and water into TM bowl and cook for 2 minutes at 100 degrees on speed 4.




So how much money did I save baking these myself???  Well $2.70 x 8 = $21.60 and a dozen hot cross buns?? Well my school was selling them for $13 per dozen as a fund raiser!!!!

Aren't I the clever little spend thrift??  So tell me Dear Readers what ways do you like to save money?  Do you bake, or do you make all your own food rather than buy Take Away?



2 comments:

  1. My daughter loved cheese and bacon rolls and I often buy them when we are out and I hear 'mum I'm hungry'. Yours look fantastic and the hot cross buns. I am loving baking bread so I am inspired, a much cheaper snack and I can use wholemeal flour :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great Cate. I'm inspired to make Hot Cross Buns today, although I'm extremely tempted to make Quirky Jo's Easter Pull Apart for something different. Have you seen her post?

    http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/2011/04/easter-pull-apart-bread-with-orange.html

    ReplyDelete